By Diana Earnshaw
Read about the health benefits of cabbage
I used this recipe – courtesty of Jamie Oliver – as an addition to Christmas dinner last year. It is scrummy!
- olive oil
- 2 rashers organic smoked streaky bacon, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, bashed
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 good eating apples, peeled and chopped into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 red cabbage, outer leaves and core removed, chopped into irregular chunks
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 small knob butter
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves , chopped
Pour a good lug of olive oil into a saucepan, get it hot and add the bacon and fennel seeds. Cook until golden then add the onion and continue to cook, with the lid on, for a few more minutes until golden and sticky. Add the apple, followed by the cabbage chunks, salt and pepper and the vinegar, and stir everything together well.
Put the lid back on and continue to cook on a low heat for an hour, checking and stirring every so often. You will end up with a gorgeously sticky-sweet cabbage dish that you’ll want to eat immediately, straight out of the pan! Or, if you can wait long enough, scoop it into a serving dish, pop the butter on top and sprinkle over the parsley.