Based on a recipe from The Daring Gourmet
This is substantial enough for a main meal but you may like some fruit and cheese for afters.
• 60g butter
• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
• 200 g very finely chopped celery (about 5 large ribs,)
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 40 g all-purpose flour
• 1litre chicken broth
• 300ml whole milk
• 1 teaspoon salt
• freshly ground pepper
• Leftover pieces of chicken
• A swirl of cream to serve
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the onions, celery and garlic until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and cook for another minute. Add the chicken broth and milk and stir until the mixture is smooth. Increase the heat and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining ingredients, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add salt to taste.
2. Serve with a swirl of cream and some lovely bread
3. You could use celeriac – which I prefer in soup. Omit the flour and puree everything when cooked, except the chicken scraps. Then add the chicken and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.