A recipe for using cheaper cuts of meat.
- 750g minced beef (or a bit less and use some chopped liver to make up the weight)
- 175g pork sausage meat
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs like marjoram, oregano and/or thyme
- 50g strong Cheddar, grated or 4 tablespoons hard Italian cheese (eg Parmesan)
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds or day-old breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp chilli powder or paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt and several grindings black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade or gas mark 4.
- Put everything in a big bowl, get your hands in and mix it thoroughly.
- Put into a greased 2lb/900g loaf tin, cover with foil and bake for about 1 ½ hours.
- Leave in the tin for ½ hour then turn out on to a plate.
- Eat hot or cold.