Recipe by Diana Earnshaw and picture from Pixabay.
At Christmas I make this ice cream and add a couple of cinnamon sticks to the milk whist it is being heated. If this is not the best ice-cream you have ever tasted, I’ll eat my hat! Remember though, the best results come from the best ingredients.
- 300ml whole organic milk
- 200ml organic maple syrup
- 500ml organic double cream
- 6 organic egg yolks, whisked (save/freeze the egg whites for use in something else)
- Bring the milk and maple syrup to almost boiling point.
- Add a couple of ladlefuls of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and mix well. Add this slowly to the hot milk and over a medium heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens slightly, taking care that the yolks don’t scramble!
- Strain into a bowl, cover, cool then chill until you are ready to complete the ice-cream.
- Thoroughly mix the cream into the custard.
- Either: Pour into a freezer container and place in the freezer. Give a good stir every half an hour for a couple of hours, then leave to freeze completely. This improves the texture of the finished ice cream.
- Or: Pour into an ice-cream maker and churn until partially frozen. Pour into a freezer container and continue freezing.
- To serve, remove the container from the freezer for about 15 minutes to thaw slightly before scooping.