Recipe based on one from All Recipes.
See the ingredients for a simple swap to make this recipe vegan.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow or red pepper, diced
- 1 medium butternut squash, in 1cm dice
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 3 (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (omit if vegetarian or vegan, or use a vegan version – True Food sells Biona Worcester Sauce, which is vegan)
- 2 (400g) tins beans of your choice, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, over a medium heat. Add the vegetables and fry gently until softened.
- Add the chilli powder and continue to fry for 1 minute.
- Next, add the tomatoes, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and beans. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sugar according to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper and serve.
- Rice, crusty bread or mashed potatoes are suggested accompaniments.