Adapted by Penny Wenham from a recipe by Diana Earnshaw
As Diana says, “The baked beans are needed for this recipe, but feel free to use other canned beans in place of the kidney and butter beans”. In Diana’s original recipe she uses bacon slices, cheddar and parmesan and bakes it in the oven. Here I’m using smoked paprika as a nod to the bacon flavour, and alternative cheese options, and browning under a grill on top of the jacket potato or toast.
- 1 tbsp butter alternative or oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 1 can butter beans, drained
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Worcester sauce – True Food sells Biona Worcester Sauce which is vegan
- Vegan cheese alternative grated – True Food sells several types but for increased smokiness and good meltability I’d suggest Applewood Smoky Cheese Alternative
- Heat the butter alternative or oil in large frying pan and soften the onion for 5-7 minutes. Heat your grill to 200oC
- Stir in everything else, except the vegan cheese, and heat through in the pan.
- Top your toast or jacket potato with the bean mixture and sprinkle the grated cheese alternative over the top.
- Grill your bean topped toast or potato until the cheese topping bubbles.