Recipe and photograph from BBC Good Food
- 6 beetroots, unpeeled
- 3 medium unpeeled red onions
- 4 unpeeled whole garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the glaze
- 50ml/2fl oz vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves picked and chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/360F/Gas 4.
2. Place the beetroot, red onions, garlic, thyme and olive oil in a medium-sized roasting tray making sure that the vegetables are well coated in olive oil.
3. Roast for an hour and a half, until the beetroot feels tender. Peel and slice the cooked vegetables and put to one side.
4. To make the glaze, place the roasting tray on a medium hob flame and deglaze by adding the stock, balsamic vinegar.
5. Bring this to the boil making sure to stir until the liquid has reduced to a syrupy consistency. Season.
6. Arrange the beetroot, red onions and garlic neatly on a warmed serving dish and cover in the glaze. Serve immediately.