Based on a recipe from Riverford
- 2 tbsp mild flavoured oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated or chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400g just sprouted chickpeas (see picture)
- 400g courgettes, cut in ½ lengthways, then cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 tomatoes, quartered and seeds removed
- handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- First boil the chickpeas until they are just about soft.
- In a large pan, heat the oil and add the onion. Gently fry for 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the mustard seeds, cumin, chilli, ginger, garlic, turmeric and ground coriander. Fry for a couple more minutes.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for another minute. Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the chickpeas, courgettes, tomatoes and continue to cook for 12-15 minutes, until the courgettes are tender.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and stir in the fresh coriander, season and serve.