Recipe based on one from BBC Good Food and photo from Pixabay
- 500g new potatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, each sliced into 6 wedges
- 4 rashers smoked bacon, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- 140g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 100g watercress or baby spinach or mixed
- 85g creamy blue cheese
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Place the potatoes in a roasting tin, then rub with 1 tbsp oil and a sprinkling of salt. Roast for 20 minutes, then add the onion wedges to the tin, giving everything a good shake. Roast for 20 minutes more until the potatoes have turned a deep golden brown and the onions have caramelised and softened. Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat a frying pan. Dry-fry the bacon until crisp. Add the sliced mushrooms, then fry for 5 minutes more until they have softened.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the mustard, vinegar and remaining 1 tbsp oil with a splash of water. Place potatoes, onions, bacon and mushrooms in a large bowl with the salad leaves, pour over the dressing, then toss well. Divide between 4 plates, and crumble the blue cheese over the top.