By Diana Earnshaw, Volunteer Contributor
Ideal for those slightly cooler summer evenings. Courtesy of BBC Good Food.
Related article: Summer greens
Related recipe to try: Avocado & Spinach Breakfast Smoothie
- 15ml/1 tbsp olive oil/butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small stick celery
- 350g/12oz potato, peeled and diced
- 600ml/1pt chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g watercress
- 150ml/1/4pt milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pan then add the onion and celery and sauté over a medium heat for 5 minutes until pale golden.
- Stir in the potato and stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Stir in the watercress, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the watercress is wilted.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Return the soup to the rinsed out pan add the milk, nutmeg, lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
- Gently reheat until hot and serve with crusty bread. (I would add a swirl of cream for extra nutrition and deliciousness!)