Winnsboro Bean Rarebit
By Diana Earnshaw, Volunteer Contributor
Full of fat-soluble and B vitamins, Winnsboro BeanRarebit is perfect for a quick dinner. Served on sourdough toast on in a jacket potato. (From the Supercook book I had in the 70s!).
Image courtesy of Love Food.
Related articles: Food and Mental Health
- 20g butter
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 green pepper, white pith removed, seeded and finely chopped
- 400g canned kidney beans, drained
- 400g canned baked beans
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder or as liked
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt if needed
- In a medium-sized frying-pan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- When the foam subsides, add the onion, garlic and green pepper and fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent but not brown.
- Stir in the kidney beans, baked beans with the can juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and chilli powder and stir well to mix.
- Cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and cook, stirring constantly, for a further 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the mixture is hot and thick.